Can we talk about how it went from being summer to full-on fall pretty much overnight? You turned off your AC and slept with the windows open too, right? This air is cool and crisp and it’s putting me in such a good mood. And then I remembered that it’s FRIDAY. I usually don’t post recipes on Friday, but you got me on a good day. A good day during a great CSA week. Now that the weather is starting to cool down, my farm has been sending less purslane (ugh) and more potatoes, and I am not complaining.
One of my favorite ways to prepare potatoes is to roast them – super easy, just cut them into chunks, toss with seasoning, pop into a hot oven and walk away – fold some clothes, read a magazine, take a shower. Multitask like a boss. After about 30 minutes or so, those ‘taters will be golden brown and ready to grace your dinner table.
These particular roasted potatoes were inspired by my recent trip to Tuscany, where rosemary plants grow on the side of country roads like weeds, olive groves stretch far into the horizon, and lemons dangle from little potted trees on seemingly every piece of property we passed by. It’s no wonder why all of the food in Italy tastes so dang good – with ingredients like this right outside your doorstep, it’s hard to go wrong.
I used baby yellow potatoes from my weekly CSA share for this recipe, so the potatoes were already pretty small – the larger ones were cut into quarters, and the small ones were cut in half. Place them on a cookie sheet and toss with a good quality extra virgin olive oil, some lemon zest, fresh rosemary, and truffle salt. Please, tell me you have truffle salt? If not, you can always substitute regular old kosher salt in this recipe, but truffle truly makes everything better. (Don’t believe me? Put the stuff on popcorn and talk to me then.)
These potatoes are so simple and delicious – the lemon zest really brightens them up and provides a lovely contrast to the woodsy rosemary and earthy truffle. I hope they make an appearance on your fall dinner table – enjoy!
- 2 – 2.5 pounds of baby yellow potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (approximately the zest of one medium lemon)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon truffle salt (or kosher salt)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss together the potatoes, olive oil, lemon zest, minced rosemary, and truffle salt. Spread the coated and seasoned potatoes evenly on a cookie sheet, and place in the oven to roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and loosen the potatoes with a metal spatula and turn. Return the potatoes to the hot oven and continue to roast for another 15 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown with slightly crisp edges. Serve immediately.